The responsible use of new technologies in a Future Combat Air System (FCAS)
As Europe’s most strategic defence programme, the Future Combat Air System (FCAS) is key to European sovereignty in the 21st century. As a combat system of systems, FCAS will deliver increasing effects by leveraging the connected capabilities of pooled platforms, bringing the next level of air power to highly denied environments. The cornerstone of FCAS is the next-generation weapon system where next-generation fighters team up with remote carriers as force multipliers. Additionally, manned and unmanned platforms also will provide their uniqueness to the collective capabilities while being fully interoperable with allied forces across domains from land to cyber. The air combat cloud will enable the leveraging of networked capabilities of all pooled platforms.
The October 1st protocol of the meeting of the “working group on the responsible use of technologies in a FCAS”
White paper The Responsible Use of Artificial Intelligence in FCAS – An Initial Assessment
Dr Bruno Kahl President of the German Federal Intelligence Service A strategic threat analysis for 2040
Video of the Deputy Chief of the German Air Force
The FCAS project is [...] showing a remarkable development, at least in Germany. While worldwide the arms industry and the military prefer to push ahead with their large-scale projects in secret, here in Germany for the first time there has been a public discussion on how ethical questions and legal principles should be anchored in the FCAS project.
Airbus and [...] the German research association Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft have formed an initiative with a committee of experts for this purpose. It is to advise on the FCAS interpretation and discuss it publicly. Transparency is to be created via the website www.fcas-forum.eu.
Responsible use of technologies in the media
- Op-ed by Florian Keisinger and Wolfgang Koch for the “Behörden Spiegel” (April 2020)
- German panel, industry, assess ethics of FCAS technology – Flightglobal.com
- Autonomous Technology Prompts Ethics Considerations For German FCAS – aviationweek.com
- FCAS Expert Commission on the Responsible Use of Technologies – sldinfo.com
- Kampfjet oder Killerroboter? Bundeswehr definiert rote Linie – welt.de
- Los programas de Defensa serán el salvavidas de la industria aeroespacial EFE via – lavanguardia.com
- Airbus launches ethics panel for FCAS/SCAF technologies – janes.com
- SCAF et éthique – Aerobuzz.fr
- Airbus launches ethics panel for FCAS/SCAF technologies – Janes.ihs.com
- „Nur Menschen können etwas verantworten“. Wolfgang Koch im Gespräch mit Ralf Krauter – deutschlandfunk.de (May 2020)